Canada has two official languages – English and French. Immigrants must prove language ability in either French or English. There is a slight variation in the Canada immigration only accepts English results from the following tests:

·       International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training.

·       Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General (CELPIP-G)

·       CELPIP-General LS (listening and speaking)

However, universities have the leeway to accept other internationally recognized Exams such as Pearson English Test. Please note that you have to find the specific requirements for each institution as there are variations.

If you are applying for professional registration, for example as a dentist, doctor or nurse, you can also apply to your professional body with an IELTS result.

Another variation is that different visa types require diferent minimum levels of English passes:

Skill Type 0 (management jobs) and Skill Level A (jobs requiring university degree) require IELTS levels 5 – 6.5.

Skill Level B (technical jobs and skilled trades) requires IELTS levels 3.5 – 5

Study visa at a university also requires minimum IELTS levels 5-6.5.

One Thought to “Applying for a Canadian visa?”

  1. Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.

Leave a Comment